All the things you need to know about Rapids Jet!
When can I come for a ride?!
Rapids Jet operate EVERY day of the year except Christmas Day!
Boat operating hours vary, between the hours of 9-4pm daily.
Our office hours are 9-5pm, so feel free to call with questions during this period.
Who can ride?
- Anyone aged 5 years and up can come for a ride with Rapids Jet! As a rule, children need to be 1 metre tall to ride in our jet boats.
- The oldest person we have taken was 93 years old! Can you top that?!
- The ride is an experience for people of all fitness levels.
- Accessibility: To get onto the boat, you are required to head down 25 steps to our jetty. While this means the jetty is non-accessible to wheelchairs, please reach out to chat about how we can help get you to the boat, and if it’s the right ride for you! Call us on 0800 727 437 or reach us by Contact Form.
How long is the trip?
You will be on the water for 35 minutes.
How do we get there?
Our address is. 3 Nga Awa Purua Road, Rotokawa, 3378
For directions from your location, check us out on Google Maps!
When should we get there?
Please arrive 15 minutes before your trip departs.
If you’re running late or can’t make your trip after all, please ring us ASAP: 0800 RAPIDS or 0800 727 437 or 0064 7 374 8066
What do I wear?
- Footwear: This is a requirement on the boat. Sandals, jandals, flip flops, thongs, sneakers, trainers – it all counts.
- Summer Clothing:Comfy clothing like shorts and a T’shirt, and a jacket or jumper if it’s a cooler day.
- Winter Clothing: Bring warm, cosy clothing. A good jacket, woolly hats and gloves are great, and anything water proof is a bonus. Our boat handrails are heated, warming up as you ride!
- TOP TIP: Bring a change of clothes just in case you get wet!
We provide life jackets and spray coats. Rapids Jet life jackets are adjustable and able to fit around a 4-5XL. Unsure on whether you will fit one of our life jackets? Stop by and try one on!
Does Rapids Jet take photos? If so, how do I BUY MY PHOTOS?
Rapids Jet takes 20-30 high-quality photos, along with one short action clip as you jump the Nga Awa Purua Rapids! You can view the pictures when you return to base, and they are available for purchase there. OR right here on our website after your trip!
Upon payment for your photos the images are emailed to you so you can instantly share with friends and family! (Bragging is encouraged!)
Can I take my camera on board?
Yes, you are welcome to bring one of the following on board:
- Your handsfree camera. We find Head-Mounts work the best for filming.
- Your mobile phone with camera. However, for safety reasons this can only be used when the boat has come to a stop. Your driver will tell you when the perfect selfie opportunity is coming up!
How fast will we go?
Our custom-built jet boats will be doing around 70 – 80 kms an hour on our trip, maxing out at about 90km an hour. Trust us – that’s quick enough! Learn more about our epic boats on our About Us page!
How many people in one boat?
11 Adults, or up to 14 Children, and we have 3 boats in total.
Each boat has three rows of padded seating, and each seat provides awesome views during your trip!
Can I bring a GROUP?
I’m pregnant! Can I come for a ride?
We strongly encourage you to wait until baby’s here to come for a jet boat ride with us! Contact us to discuss it further if need be!
Can I drive the boat?!
Unfortunately not. Our drivers are professionally trained to the highest standards, and licensed, so you (and everyone else in the boat) can be sure that they’re in very safe and experienced hands. This section of the Waikato River needs a certain level of expertise!
Think you’ve got what it takes to be our next jet boat driver? Feel free to send your CV to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What are the ‘Fulljames Rapids’?
The Nga Awa Purua Rapids that we ride on and the Fulljames Rapids are actually one and the same. The term ‘Fulljames Rapids’ is commonly known around the globe amongst kayaking thrill-seekers!
We belong to a number of associations. Check them out!
- We’re a SILVER level Qualmark-endorsed visitor activity!
- We’re a Member of the Commercial Jet Boat Association of NZ
- We’re also a Member of the Tourism Industry Association of New Zealand